Sunday, November 3, 2013

2013 NCSG Athlete of The Year

About a year ago I was in my parents' basement rummaging through some of my dad's packed-away memories.  I found a box of trophies and in that box was a newspaper clipping from 1978.  The newspaper clipping was about my dad, he won an award called "Missoula's Nice Young Man Award."  I read with intrigue.  It talked about my dad helping in the community and youth sports and basically personifying the award by being a "nice young man."  My dad was 28 years old when he won the award, my age now.  There's a lot we will never know about our parents, call it coincidence or call it like-father-like-son, I remember reading that article, being very proud of my dad and wishing that I one day could win an award for being a nice young man.      

*My parents were gracious in coming to Texas with me.

In August I won Montana's BSSG athlete of the year, and it was a dream come true.  When I was told I was entered into the national-level competition I sarcastically thought one thing, "Yeah right."  When Karen, the director of the State Games, called me in October to say that I won the national competition I dropped the phone, scrambling to pick it up I muttered "Wait...what?"

*At the Alamo there was a wishing well. I couldn't help but wonder how many of these wishes came true.  My wishes and dreams have certainly come true this year.

That phone call kicked off the start of a crazy month.  I am incredibly grateful for all the amazing things that have come my way.  The media publicity, being flown to Texas for the award, and having an opportunity to give my speech are things I will never forget.  Whether this is the start of something larger, or simply my 15 minutes of fame ticking, I can say that I did my best to make the most of the opportunity I have been given.

*Preparing to give my speech. I carried a note up with me that said, "This is your moment, inspire others to achieve theirs."

I am very proud of what I have done, but I don't want to be boastful so I will keep this post short.  At the end of the day it isn't about me, its about principles; commitment, dedication, and that iron will that inspires us to chase our dreams. I am lucky to be associated with an award that values those traits.

*Picture with gold medalist Dana Vollmer (right), female athlete of the year Jen Reiter, and youth athlete of the year Taileen Oja. It was like being a celebrity, we had to pose for the paparazzi. 

I am very thankful for everyone who has supported me, and those who believe in me. Thank you to my family and friends for always being there for me.  Thank you to Karen and her team in Montana who bring us the State Games, who also took amazing care of me and my parents when in Texas.  Thanks to the National Congress of State Games, Derek Buerkle of KPAX Television, AJ Mazzolini of The Missoulian, both were extremely generous with their time in helping me get my message across using their mediums.  

Please click the links to see their interviews 
KPAX Television Interview 
Missoulian Newspaper Article  

I will close with two things; pictures from our trip, and a portion of my speech. 

"...It's often times ironic that people are willing to dedicate themselves, completely and entirely, to the pursuit and achievement of their goals.  Yet, those same people are reluctantly hesitant to claim that moment of success when they achieve their goal. They fail to seize that powerful moment to say, 'I did a good job, I am proud of who I am, and I am proud of what I have done.'  The State Games isn't about awards, it isn't about medals, and it certainly isn't about me.  It's about thousands of athletes across the nation having their opportunity to claim their moment..."
 
*The park where the inspiration for my speech was derived :)
 
*Spacious 10th floor room at San Antonio's historic hotel.

*Alamo Courtyard
 
*Horse taxi

*The Alamo

 
In addition to Dana Vollmer, I a met some other famous people in Texas :) 
 
*I met pro wrestler The Undertaker

*I was on Oprah

*I was on Letterman
 
*I was exhausted so my dad handled Leno for me...
 
*....and my mom handled Dr. Phil
 
*This was my favorite
 
*Thanks for reading, "I'll be back." 

Thank you to all my friends who congratulated me, I am thankful for your support.  Thanks for following and being part of this adventure.